Sunday, July 18, 2010

A Week of Lasts

So bittersweet. Though we're all feeling like it's more bitter than sweet right now. We've already begun our week of lasts here in Zambia and it feels so not right. Yesterday we went to the orphanage for the last time... probably ever. I've been trying to soak up as much as possible over the past few days and want to continue that up until I'm out of Africa. I can't believe how time has flown by but it's been more than amazing. Even going to the orphanage yesterday I was hoping it would be different. Not more than five seconds after getting off of the bus, the sweet little girl Mary who always holds my hand while I'm there popped out of nowhere and walked with me. Hand-in-hand we made our way to the orphanage lot for a day of games and Bible skits. She's maybe half my height, around 7 years old, and has the responsibility of carrying her baby brother Thomas on her back from morning to night. She doesn't complain but instead comforts her little brother when he gets upset and wraps him up tight against her when he's getting sleepy. She carries him by using a chitange wrapped around her and she has the most beautiful smile in the world. A few weeks back she let me hold Thomas as he slept and it was one of the highlights of my trip by far. I know I always refer to my heart breaking but it truly does. Didn't know it was capable of breaking this frequently but little moments like those just put me in my place and refocus my perspective on life. Little ones from all over flock to the orphanage so they can have a few hours of affection- more affection than they'll probably experience throughout their entire childhood. With wounds, torn clothing, dirty faces and no shoes they don't ask for anything in return. Just a hand to hold the whole time and a hug to say goodbye. Those children hold a place in my heart that I won't be able to ignore for the rest of my life. I try to face the realities of situations so it would be right for me to say I'll probably never be back but I will still hope otherwise.

One of the cooks at our house, Mya, whose 21st birthday is actually today, came up to our room last night to sing us a song she just wrote. She explained how we inspired her to write it and it was titled "Somebody's Angel." Keep in mind that her voice is the one that we sit in awe of while she sings during the preparation of dinner. The second she finished this short song we were all speechless. As if that wasn't enough she even went on to explain exactly what she meant by it all. Mya said that she's so inspired by how we came from so far away to want to do the work of God. That even though we can't give these children everything, we can give them love which is worth more than everything, and that those children view us as angels sent to them. She said she's been challenged by us and wants to strive to be somebody's angel every day no matter if that's just someone that needs a hug, advice or a favor. Sometimes as a team we've felt worn down and like our work sometimes doesn't mean much but hearing words like that brings it all back. God is working through us and it's something we should never deny.

Didn't think I'd be writing deep stuff today but guess that's what I get for just going with it again. I'll be sure to write a final entry once I'm home and have processed more of what I've experienced here. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get on in Livingstone but we leave for that on Wednesday morning. That'll be a great way for our team to wrap things up with relaxation, debriefing and even a safari. Today's our last market day. This morning was our last day at church. We attended a church in the slums at Ngombe and that's a whole other entry in itself. And makes me get chills just thinking about it. Tomorrow is our last day at UNZA filled with lots of appointments. Please be praying that girls will be in their rooms to talk and that we can leave a legacy on that campus. Pray that leaders will rise up and take UNZA for Christ. We've made so many connections with students there and would love to see them grow after we leave rather than fizzling out.

Again, cannot believe it's already that time!! As of now, I'd be completely okay with my family just coming to move here and staying here forever. But it's great to know my purpose is to live in America so I will be praying to be at peace with that. Thank you for all of your support for making this trip possible and I can't wait to share with you one last time all that God's taught me over these past 5 weeks.

God Bless!

In Him,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment