Friday, July 2, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Hi again!
It's been a while since I've last updated so I'll try to remember everything but even like a week feels like a months worth of experiences here! Right now I'm at an internet cafe on campus at the University of Zambia (UNZA) and it's pretty much a hole in the wall with 20 computers crammed in here but there's worship music playing so that's fun. We've been on campus here for 3 or 4 days now evangelizing to students. UNZA keeps postponing classes so it's mostly freshman here. Crazy to think that a calendar and a clock don't mean much in Africa but it doesn't seem to bother them. Classes were supposed to start last Monday, then changed to Wednesday and we just found out today that they're planning to start next Monday now. Our ministry keeps adapting to the changes but it's a great growing experience for all of us. We're still focused on relational ministry. My partner Michelle and I have gotten to know around 5 girls pretty well and will be meeting back up with them on Monday which we're really excited about. We made up a few Bible studies that should help them in their areas of doubt so please be praying that they'll open their hearts to that and choose to commit their lives to Christ as a result.
We've been checking in at the orphanage every week as well which has been a beautiful thing. There are less kids around since we all go in smaller groups so we've been able to get to know the kids who actually live at the orphanage, the tutors, and the women in charge of it all with such big smiles and even bigger hearts. We split up into groups to go to the orphange this week. Larry's home church is here all this week helping out with some fixer-upper projects so we've been there to entertain the children and love on them while some major construction goes on. So far they've put in a fresh water system for drinking water free of parasites and are in the process of building a bathroom which is unheard of in the slums of N'gombe. My group went to the orphanage yesterday and it was yet again, a great growing experience. The children are starving for love and affection and it's just heart breaking. I think I've started to grow comfortable with the environment there and I've been praying to fight that as hard as I can. I want to forever be changed by what I'm experiencing here. Some of the neighborhood children came over yesterday and it's obvious even in little children who loves Jesus and who has had a hard family life. The neighborhood kids got pretty crazy- hitting each other, slapping the other girls in the face, being rough with us, and just craving material things. At first I was turned off by this and thought "how dare they ask me for my watch one more time." But isn't that what we do with God?! He blesses us but instead of being grateful we ask for more and more and never rest completely satisfied in what He's given us. I've been incredibly convicted of this attitude throughout the three weeks here already. Maybe it's more obvious in children but it's ickier in my heart as I tend to live a selfish life not even recognizing where I fail to trust God and just live in peace with what He's provided me with. We tried to give the children new clothes and that ended up in little fights and it was just heartbreaking. There is an overwhelming need even in that one location that it's impossible to think of the slum as a whole. The children have dirty faces, sick coughs, tattered clothing, no shoes, skinned knees, burned arms from falling into the trash fires, but yet have the brightest smiles I have ever seen. Seriously brings tears to my eyes every time I think about it. Not sure if they're out of disgust for how they have to live or disgust for how I live my own life. I'm so inspired by each and every child and though I come back to the guest house worn out, dirty and exhausted, I run to God harder than with any other experience.
After the orphanage yesterday, we came on UNZA's campus to evangelize. Our plans changed from the original ones of course. So with that frustration, not being able to shower after the orphanage, and just exhaustion, I wasn't too excited about it. I almost stayed back with Katrice (Larry's daughter) in the square but had to check myself. I'm here for God and God alone- my feelings should be irrevelant. I went out with Larry's wife Marla, Katie and Christine to a room nearby. The girl, Annie, was incredibly shy and quiet and I just sat there more frustrated wondering if she even cared about what we were doing (again another incredibly selfish thought). However, she started to get more upbeat and her eyes lit up. When we asked her what her life looked like- self-centered or Christ-centered she gave an answer I've never heard in my life. She looked at us smiling and said "Before you all came I was self-centered but now that I've heard the truth, my life is Christ-centered!" Again, tears well up as this happens. God slapped me on the face and that verse immediately came to me that talks about how God's work will be done with or without us. I hadn't said much of anything the whole time but God used that and I was fortunate enough to witness sweet Annie accept Christ! Now I get to spend eternity in heaven with her! God's grace and mercy were so evident yesterday that I went home so overwhelmed and broken before Him. Praise God for how He works in His own timing, and how He CHOOSES to use us broken, icky people to advance His kingdom!
Ok so backtrack a bit. I should prob write these out beforehand so they aren't so scatterbrained but maybe next time. My apologies. Ok so Wednesday we all shipped out to N'gombe (the huge slum neighborhood that houses the majority of the Lusaka population with the Deborah Orphanage in it). It's a place I can't even begin to describe and will have to put a link to photos on here once I get them uploaded back in the states. Most heartbreaking part of town for sure. Anyways, we all planned an outreach soccer game: USA vs Zambians with the neighborhood boys. Obviously we lost but we had a great turnout. From there we went across the neighborhood to where the Jesus film was set up. The Jesus film presents the Gospel clearly from Luke in their native language of Nianja (spelling)? Driving up to the open space we saw hundreds of smiling, screaming children running after the bus of muzungus (white people). Those moments just take our breath away. The film was shown on a small screen but over 300 people turned out from all parts of the neighborhood to watch it. Since men are basically non-existant in home life, many women but mostly children were there watching in awe. You would've thought we were showing some blockbuster film in the way they just stared up in amazement of what was being shown. The sun set over the slum to expose the most brilliant of starry skies. It'll be a scene I will never forget for my entire life. As the night went on and the air cooled off, little ones would cling to my legs for warmth and beg to be held. Who am I to be this special to these kids? It was such a humbling experience. At the point of Christ's crucifixion they cut off the movie to ask who wanted to accept Christ in their hearts. I scanned the whole crowd of over 300 and every hand was raised. Not just one hand each but children jumping up and down with both hands stretched to the sky. Women crying out to the Lord in rejoicing accompanied the sounds of children screaming shouts of joy. In that moment, I just pictured the exact same group many years from now celebrating and glorifying God together in heaven and I was left speechless. As if that wasn't enough, there was more. When the stone was rolled away to reveal an empty tomb, the loudest roar of cheers I've ever heard just echoed through the entire neighborhood. Children and women and even some men were rejoicing that Jesus was alive! Shouldn't our lives mirror that same extreme joy?! My life should be shouting praise for Jesus who paid the price for ALL of us! He's not a story but a reality and it's been so evident in every part of this trip!

Sorry for such a long post! I feel like there is SO much more I could write but those are the main stories that have been affecting me so much lately. As a group, we're experiencing a bit of a drop in morale. Things aren't so new, we're in as much of a routine as Zambia allows, and we all know each other well- maybe too well at times. Please be praying that we'll run to God during our times of discouragement and frustration, realizing our true purpose here in Lusaka. It's so obvious that God is moving in mighty ways here so please pray for that to be continued that for us to be changed by that. Most of our team has returned to great health but a few are still sick so please pray for their restored health and for the rest of us to stay healthy for these next three weeks. We all constantly talk about how shocked we are that we're already at the halfway point! It may be hard to get me on the plane to Kenya but I won't even begin to talk about going home yet. We have way too many great times ahead of us that I can't wait to be a part of. I may have time to add more later on Sunday (market day!) but we'll have to see when that time comes.

Thank you as always for your support and prayers and encouragement. Please know that your prayers have had lasting effects here in Zambia as we've already been able to witness so many people dedicate their lives to following Christ! What a blessing to know so many more brothers and sisters in Christ! Please be encouraged by this and also challenged to run hard after God in all you do- in Africa or North Carolina or anywhere else! I thank God for you in my life! God Bless.

In Him,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment